California is the world leader in water recycling, and they recently held their annual conference on it.
Engineering firm Arcadis wrote a great summary article, listing these 5 takeouts:
- One Water is happening, enabled by fit-for-future organisations – progressive organisations aren’t stopping at purified recycled water for drinking, but considering a range of alternative water solutions.
- Artificial intelligence, machine learning and predictive analytics will lead to better decisions – data can break down silos in water servicing, in pursuit of One Water approaches.
- Reverse osmosis (RO) concentrate is a hot topic again – there’s lots of activity finding cost-effective ways to dispose of RO concentrate.
- Direct potable reuse (DPR) regulations are shaping up – with final regulations only a couple of years away, and at least one demonstration scheme
- We found the missing element – the human element of conferences. (Something to hope for in our part of the world soon!)