Is your utility or council a member of WSAA? Are you 30 or under (or know someone who is), passionate about the water industry and looking for a money can’t buy opportunity to work with and learn from the best?
The WSAA Young Utility Leaders Program will not only expose you to senior leaders within the urban water sector, it will have you working alongside them on Board Committees and at thought leadership events and initiatives. In addition, WSAA has partnered with the Peter Cullen Trust to provide you with tailored leadership coaching, helping you to understand your strengths, opportunities for improvement and leadership values.
At the end of your 12 months participating in the program you will have the opportunity to pitch to the WSAA Board for a chance to win the Ross Young Scholarship, with a value of up to $7,000, to further your personal development journey.
The Program is free and WSAA will take care of all travel costs associated with the Peter Cullen Trust coaching element. WSAA hopes that your organisation will support you with costs associated with traveling to Board Committee or leadership events, although arrangements could be made if this is presented as a challenge.
If you are passionate about the urban water industry, ready to step out of your comfort zone, and explore and enhance your leadership potential, apply now. Applications close 5.00pm (AEST) Friday 3 June 2022.
Likewise, if you as a Manager have some fantastic young talent in your team, please encourage them to submit a short video for this amazing opportunity.
- Passionate about the urban water industry.
- Willingness to learn from the best.
- Confidence to share your thoughts and ideas.
- Adaptive and innovative.
- Support from your organisation and manager.
- Able to commit time to coaching sessions with the Peter Cullen Trust (this could be 3 days face to face or multiple video-conference sessions) and Board Committee Meetings or thought leadership events and initiatives (this could be 3-4 days or multiple video-conference sessions) in a 12 month period.
- 30 years old or under.
- Working for a WSAA Utility or Council Member.
This program is open to employees working at WSAA member utilities or councils and you can be confident that your application will be considered without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or disability.
How to apply
Put together a two-minute video pitch explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this incredible program.
- Upload your two-minute video to YouTube, using a YouTube account.
- Mark the video with a reference to WSAA and your full name in the title (e.g. Dale Watson WSAA).
- Adjust the viewing settings to ‘unlisted’ rather than ‘private’ in the video manager tab.
- Test that the video can be viewed by someone else, to ensure your application is accessible.
- Email the link to your YouTube video to Dale Watson, at email@example.com by 5.00pm (AEST) Friday 3 June 2022.
Not sure if you should apply? Go on, challenge yourself!
“The WSAA YUL program has been an experience incomparable to any other! Embarking on a journey of self- realisation whilst experiencing the inner workings of a mega corporation such as WSAA, the program’s structure promotes individual improvement and allows for lifelong friendships to be formed!” – Jackson McEwen, Lower Murray Water, 2021/22 Participant
“My experience with young utility leader program has been absolutely phenomenal. And it's not just because of the program itself, but also the people who have participating in the program. The other young utility leaders have been absolutely wonderful people with such diverse backgrounds, and we all learnt off each other and have grown off each other.” – Chantal Keane, Urban Utilities, 2021/22 Participant
“The program helped me understand myself better. Understand my values. What motivates me. How I communicate. How I work. These are the things that will stay with me for the rest of my career. On top of this I managed to create relationships with four other incredible people on this program that I think will last for the rest of our lifetime and the rest of our career.” – Ali Ahmadi, SA Water, 2021/22 Participant
“The WSAA Young Utility Leader Program was a life changing experience. The program supported, encouraged and empowered me to evolve into the best version of myself and gave me the confidence to turn career dreams into reality. I cannot recommend this experience highly enough, it not only exposes you to some wonderful and inspiring industry leaders but through it you establish amazing and lasting friendships with your cohort of other Young Utility Leaders. Get your application in today!” - Brendan Moore, Yarra Valley Water, 2019/20 Winner of the Ross Young Memorial Scholarship