WSAA is pleased to announce a revised water industry standard WSA 109 Flange gaskets and O-rings is now available for comment.
This revision is the result of a comprehensive review. The major amendments are detailed below:
- Material testing requirements that are contained within an alternative Standard have been removed from this document and appropriately referenced.
- The Scope of this Standard has been revised and clarified.
- Sealability tests have been removed. Sealability type tests were completed by Tyco Water in 2003 to demonstrate suitability of the gasket materials specified within this Standard. In addition, the Industry has now been successfully utilising materials specified in WSA 109 for more than 15 years. It is considered unnecessary and impractical for gasket material suppliers or gasket manufacturers to undertake ongoing performance tests for gasket materials already proven to be fit for purpose.
- Gasket dimensions have been rationalised to specify the same dimensions regardless of flange material. A dimensional analysis verified that the internal flange dimensions specified in this Standard do not intrude into the waterway of flanges commonly utilised in the Australian water industry.
- The informative Appendix D includes additional and updated guidelines for flanged joint assembly. Estimated tightening torques are provided based on assumed variables regardless of flange material. An Excel spreadsheet calculator has been developed as a companion to this Standard. The methodology and assumptions to provide the estimated tightening torques contained in Appendix D are detailed in the calculator. Where alternative variables apply, alternative tightening torques may be calculated.
Have your say
As this is a major amendment to the previous version of WSA 109, we are giving you the opportunity to provide your feedback. The public consultation period is open now until the 3:00PM AEDT, Thursday 11 February 2021.
How do I view the public consultation draft?
A copy of the pre-publication draft of WSA 109, is attached, along with a comments form.
How do I make a submission?
Comments are welcome by manufacturers, supplies, designers, installers and asset owners, using the comments form and emailing email@example.com by COB Thursday 11 February 2021.
What will happen next?
Once the public consultation period has concluded, the WSAA Project Team will consider the submissions received and amend the Standard as deemed appropriate.
It is envisaged that the WSA 109 Flange gaskets and O-rings, Version 3.1 will be finalised and ready for publication by the 31st March 2020. The third Edition, Version 3.1 of WSA 109 Flange gaskets and O-rings will be published as an eBook only, and will be available for purchase via the WSAA shop.